I am a Senior Lecturer at University of Gothenburg in Gothenburg, Sweden, working in the Department of Applied Information Technology. My research interests are in the general area of Information Systems, i.e. recommender systems, personalization, information retrieval, and user modeling.
3rd person Bio
Dr. Alan Said is a Senior Lecturer at University of Gothenburg. He holds a PhD from the Technische Universität Berlin. Prior to joining the University of Gothenburg, Dr. Said has held various positions in industry and academia. He was lecturer at University of Skövde (2016-2019), machine learning engineer 2014-2016 working on application of state of the art machine learning in a large scale production setting at Recorded Future. He was Senior Researcher (2014) working on recommender systems and evaluation in the Multimedia Computing research group at Delft University of Technology. He was awarded an MSCA Alain Bensoussan ERCIM Fellowship at Centrum Wiskunde & Informatica (2013-2014) for work on evaluation of recommender and personalization systems. Alan's research spans the fields of user modeling, personalization, recommender systems, evaluation, and reproducibility. He has worked in these fields in various national and international projects as researcher, leader, manager, PI, and proposal writer. He has published over 70 scientific works in top journals, conferences, workshops, and books. He has been nominated for and awarded several Best Paper and Poster awards for his research. Alan frequently serves on Program and Organization committees of top venues and journal such as ACM RecSys, WWW, ACM CIKM, ACM UMAP, ACM IUI, UMUAI, TWeb, TKDD, etc. He is General Co-Chair of ACM RecSys 2019.
- [2019-02] Coming back to work from paternity on February 11.
- [2019-01] As of February 2019, I am changing affiliation to The University of Gothenburg.
- [2018-10] Attended ACM RecSys 2018 in Vancouver, CA.
- [2018-09] Our book on Data Science in Practice has now been published by Springer.
- [2018-09] On paternity till 2019. Will answer email sporadically till then.
- [2018-08] Together with Marko Tkalcic, I will be serving as Chair for the track on Personalized Recommender Systems at UMAP 2019.